What to Expect
- If you are interested, send us an email at email@example.com, including your name, email address, cell phone, your child’s name, their cancer, the date their treatment started and ended, where you live and where your child was treated.
- We will follow up quickly to learn more about you, as well as gather and check references and conduct a background check.
If You Are Selected to Become a Peer
- You will go through a six unit training course, developed by a licensed family therapist with a psychology masters and experience working in a cancer clinic.
- You will engage in role playing to prepare your for your work as a peer.
- Once you are matched with a family, your responsibility is to reach out to them within 24 hours or sooner to schedule a first call or video chat.
- At the end of your first meeting, you will schedule periodic checkins based on the family’s desires, but your communications should be limited to just those times. Your family should have your name, email address and cell phone, and should be encouraged to reach out to you at any time, knowing that in general, they should expect a response from you within 24 hours or less.
- You should also plan on reaching out directly to your family as part of key milestones, whether that’s a test, a treatment, a surgery, a birthday or holiday, just to check in and let them know that you are there for them.
- Zach’s Bridge Executive Director will check in on you periodically, and you can also check in with her as needed to get advice. The Executive Director may also check in on the family if needed.
- We hope that you are willing to stay in touch with the family for the duration of their child’s illness and after as well.
To become a peer, or if you have questions, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.